Journalism course educates students with effective methods in collection and communication of information among masses. The course study is much beneficial to students who have completed XII class studies. The students can opt for degree or diploma in journalism as the basic qualification to become a journalist. After completion of the bachelor’s degree one can opt for post graduate degree in the same. Searching prosperous jobs is another option available for journalism degree holders. The course study in journalism brings up the caliber of the students to obtain a challenging job in the sector.
Eligibility for Journalism after 12th:-
The students who have passed HSC are eligible to apply for the bachelor’s degree in Journalism. The qualification should be obtained from any of the recognized institutions with English as one of the subjects. A minimum of 55% marks is required to obtain admission in the same. Certain Universities conducts entrance exams for the selection process where as some other considers the marks of XII class for the same. Delhi University carries out Common Entrance Test for Journalism (CETJ) to select eligible candidate for the degree course in journalism.
Apply for the Journalism after 12th :-
The plus two passed ones can apply for B.A degree in Journalism. The candidate has to attend entrance test in Colleges or Universities that carry out the same. The application forms can be gathered through the office counters of Colleges or Universities. It is also obtainable through the Company website. Another way to obtain the same is through Post. In all the cases the applicant has to pay a certain amount as application fee.
Preparing for Journalism after 12th:-
The candidate should have good communication and interpersonal skills to get in to the challenging job profile of Journalist. The aspirant should try to develop the necessary qualities required to become an efficient journalist. To get aware on the basic ideas of journalism one can surf internet or refer books on the same. There exist certain training centers that offer proper guidance to make students prepared with the general aspects of journalism.
Skills required to excel in the field of Journalism:-
The field of journalism won’t suit one and all. If you possess the below mentioned qualities and/or skills, you may make it big in the field of journalism. Go through the qualities and skills listed below and check whether you are capable of building a rewarding career in this field-
- Good writing, editing and research skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Interest in politics and social justice
- Honesty and integrity
- Leadership and team working skills
- Interviewing skills
- Time management skills
- Expressing ideas and opinion
- Computer skills
- Will to travel a lot
- Will to take risks
Journalism courses in India:-
There are 3 main formats of journalism courses available in India. They are- Degree programs, Diploma programs and Certificate programs. When it comes to value and usefulness, Degree and Diploma courses are the best ones. I’ll be listing only Degree and Diploma programs here.
- BA in Journalism– 3 years long undergraduate degree program
- BA in Journalism and Mass Communication– 3 years long undergraduate degree program
- Bachelor of Journalism– 3 years long undergraduate degree program
- Bachelor of Mass Media and Journalism– 3 years long undergraduate degree program
- Bachelor of Communication and Journalism– 3 years long undergraduate degree program
- B.Sc. in Journalism and Mass Communication– 3 years long undergraduate science degree program
- BA in Media and Communication– 3 years long undergraduate degree program
- BA in Media Studies– 3 years long undergraduate degree program
- BA in Mass Communication– 3 years long undergraduate degree program
- Bachelor of Mass Media– 3 years long undergraduate degree program
- BBA in Mass Communication and Journalism– 3 years long undergraduate management degree program
- Diploma in Journalism– 1 year long Diploma program
The above mentioned Degree and Diploma courses belong to undergraduate level.