What’s next after B.Sc Microbiology?
The career opportunities available for aspirants in the field of microbiology are on the rise currently. There are many fields for one to choose from for their advanced studies. More about this course and its many educational and career options are mentioned in detail below.
One can choose to specialize in any particular area of their choice for their PG program. A few specializations are cited below.
The specializations offered in microbiology comprise of:
- Aero microbiology
- Agricultural Microbiology
- Cellular Microbiology
- Environmental Microbiology
- Evolutionary Microbiology
- Food microbiology
- Generation Microbiology
- Inam ur Rehman Microbiology
- Industrial Microbiology
- Medical Microbiology
- Microbial Genetics
- Microbial Physiology
- Nano Microbiology
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Soil Microbiology
- Veterinary Microbiology
- Water Microbiology
Qualification Criteria for Higher Studies after B.Sc Microbiology:-
Candidates with a B.sc. degree in microbiology, zoology or botany may apply for post graduation course in Microbiology.
Higher study options in Microbiology after B.Sc :-
Generally, a person will need a doctoral degree to take up the profession of a microbiologist. One can take up microbiology or any other allied fields during their graduation. The career possibilities for aspirants will increase with a PG degree. Otherwise there is a possibility of the choices to get limited. One can choose to become a teacher or a research scientist after they finish their Postgraduation.
It takes one 4 years to get a Graduate degree and 2 years to get the PG degree. The doctoral program has a time period of 3 – 4 years.
The courses given below can be taken by students for their advanced level studies:
Post graduate Course:-
- M.Sc. (Applied Microbiology)
- M.Sc. (Hons.) (Microbiology)
- M.Sc. (Microbial Genetics and Bioinformatics)
- M.Sc. (Microbiology)
- Ph.D. (Microbiology)
- Diploma Courses in Microbiology
- Advance Post Graduate Diploma in Marine Microbiology
Subjects covered under Higher Studies after B.Sc Microbiology:-
The topics those are included in the M.Sc Microbiology course is given below.
- Advanced Immunology
- Agricultural Microbiology
- Bacteriology & Virology
- Bioinformatics & Computational Methods
- Biological Chemistry
- Biophysical Techniques & Instrumentation
- Bioprocess Technology
- Bioprocess Technology & Agricultural Microbiology
- Cell biology & Enzymology
- Engineering & Bioinformatics & Computational Methods
- Environmental Microbiology Medical Microbiology
- Microbial Genetics & Genetic Engineering
- Microbial Physiology & Molecular Biology
- Microbial Technology
- Principles of Microbiology
Career Opportunities of Higher studies after B.Sc Microbiology:-
The career opportunities available for Microbiologists are quite ample these days. It is possible for them to find jobs with areas such as research organizations, research labs of hospitals of private and public sectors, pharmaceutical firms and chemical industries etc. One thing that makes the job opportunities in the arena of microbiology so ample is due to the many similarities between microbiology and biotechnology.
The increase in awareness about taking care of the environment, finding cure for diseases such as Cancer, heart diseases and AIDS etc has increased the demand of professionals in this field. Many firms try to produce cures and find different methods of treatment for these ailments. Due to this, career opportunities are becoming available in plenty. Aspirants also have the option to get employed as a science writer.